Whether it’s your first or your tenth, job interviews can stress you out. You want to make a good impression and give all the right answers, but you’re not even sure what the questions will be. And you’re nervous! How can you be expected to present yourself well? A mock interview will help. It provides you with a simulation of the experience and a safe space to practice your answers.
Mock interviews are usually conducted at your school’s career services office, but even a friend can serve as a stand in. You’ll want someone to coach you through some of the most common questions that job candidates are asked, including:
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- What interested you in this position?
- Why should we hire you?
These questions can be difficult to answer. But with practice, you’ll feel more comfortable talking about yourself and your career goals. Here are a few more benefits of the mock interview process:
You’ll Gain Confidence with Mock Interview
Everyone feels nervous about job interviews. But you want to hide as much of your anxiety as possible. If you seem too nervous, it can read as a lack of confidence in yourself and your abilities. The more you prepare for the interview, the more confident you’ll feel about whatever questions they throw your way.
You’ll Receive Feedback after the Mock Interviews
For some questions, you might think you have an excellence answer prepared only to find out that it misses the mark. In a mock interview, you’ll receive feedback on every answer. And if you mess up, that’s OK! Part of the process is learning about what’s appropriate to say and what employers want to hear.
Mock Interviews Help You Master Body Language
During the interview, you’ll communicate just as much through body language as you will through speaking. In a mock interview, you’ll learn the dos and don’ts of job interview etiquette. For example, you should shake hands with your interviewer, make eye contact with them throughout the interview, and try not to fidget.
Tips for Mock Interview Success
Consider the mock interview a practice run of the real thing. If you make a mistake, you can learn from it without the pressure of a job at stake. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take it seriously. The better you do in the test run, the more prepared you’ll be for the real thing. Here are some tips to ace your mock interview:
- Dress for Success—Dress professionally, just like you would for a real interview. This will help you get into “interview mode” and will give the interviewer a chance to point out anything inappropriate you might have missed.
- Arrive Early—Just like you would for the real thing, get to your mock interview well-prepared and a few minutes early.
- Prepare Answers—When the interviewer starts to ask you questions, you don’t want to draw a blank. Google common interview questions as a starting point and practice your answers to them.
- Bring Your Resume—Bring an up-to-date resume to your mock interview, so you can get feedback on it too.
Job interviews can be tough, but practice makes perfect. At Charter College, we offer mock interviews, resume workshops, and more through our Student Services – Placement office. These professional development opportunities are offered to all of our students as well as our alumni. Call us at 888-200-9942 or fill out the form to find out how we can help you prepare for a new career.